As I mentioned in an earlier post, I wanted to sew a coat. Well, more than just that: a YELLOW coat. It was finished by the end of September, and to be honest, I haven’t worn it too much. I mean, it is yellow, and really bright. I feel like everybody is looking at me when I wear it. However, it turned a really warm and comfortable coat (big pockets!!). And it looks nice from the sewing point of view (or so I do say to myself).
Construction-wise, sewing the whole 8 welt buttonholes and 2 welt pockets was at times frustrating, but I wanted to do them because since I was putting so much effort in this coat, I wanted top quality details.
The coat is quite thick, as it has several layers: lining, Thinsulate, windbreaker and wool coating. Whoa! My machine managed it really well almost everywhere, with some irregular stitching in particularly thick parts like the collar facing. After it was finished, I took it to the dry cleaners to have all sewing markings I had made with pencil removed and to have it professionally ironed.
I used the windbreaker as an underlining for the wool, to provide stability and prevent stretching. I don’t know if this is the correct way of doing this, but for me it was ok. I also attached the Thinsulate to the lining along the edges of the lining pieces before constructing the coat.
I hope you like it!